Current track

Title

Artist


Family learned of SIU’s fatal shooting findings through social media: First Nations

Written by on February 18, 2026

Ontario First Nations leaders are expressing “serious concerns” about the release of a police watchdog’s report into the fatal shooting of a man in a northern Ontario courtroom, saying the family and the community were left to find out crucial details through social media.

Nishnawbe Aski Nation Grand Chief Alvin Fiddler and Wapekeka First Nation Chief Brennan Sainnawap say a “strongly worded” letter was sent to Special Investigations Unit Director Joseph Martino and Ontario Attorney General Doug Downey about the case and what they call a “broader pattern of systemic failings towards First Nations people.”

They say last week’s SIU report into the death of Tyresse Roundsky, who was fatally shot by a provincial police officer inside a makeshift courtroom in Wapekeka First Nation last July, was released without any “meaningful” advance notice to his family or the community.

They say the family learned about the circumstances of Roundsky’s death, including the SIU’s finding that the police officer did not render aid for about 40 minutes after the shooting, on social media.

The SIU says it is carefully reviewing Fiddler’s letter and it recognizes the importance of respectful communications.

The SIU said in a statement to The Canadian Press that it held a virtual meeting with community representatives and family members on Jan. 8 to provide an update on the status of the investigation.

“During that meeting, the SIU was asked to communicate the director’s decision through the identified community contact, to be followed by an in-person meeting at a later date,” it said.

“When initial outreach to the identified community contact did not result in a response, the SIU proceeded to share the director’s decision with the Band Council by telephone on Feb. 11, 2026, and provided a copy of the director’s report electronically.”

The SIU director’s report found there is evidence to suggest the officer who shot the 23-year-old man “unnecessarily delayed in rendering first aid,” and said the matter will be referred to the Law Enforcement Complaints Agency and raised with the Ontario Provincial Police commissioner.

However, Martino wrote that no criminal charges would be laid against the officer, concluding his use of force was justified since the man posed a threat and was advancing toward him with a knife in the courtroom.

“It is unacceptable that the family and community had to learn through the media that after being shot, their loved one was neglected for 40 minutes by a police officer who did not render aid,” Fiddler, whose group represents 49 First Nations, said in a news release Wednesday.

“The SIU director has demonstrated a complete lack of sensitivity in the release of its report, and instead of providing much needed oversight and accountability to the police, the release of the report has re-traumatized the family and a community already plagued with grief.”

The SIU said it will be reaching out to Fiddler to discuss ways to improve the notifications process going forward.

Fiddler said Nishnawbe Aski Nation has also been seeking answers in the 2024 death of Bruce Frogg, a First Nations man who was shot by the OPP in Kenora. The SIU cleared the police of wrongdoing in that case, but Fidler said the watchdog’s report failed to adequately answer questions about the shooting.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 18, 2026.

Maan Alhmidi, The Canadian Press