Current track

Title

Artist


OPP constable charged with sexual assault in incidents involving three women: SIU

Written by on August 17, 2026

Ontario’s police watchdog says a provincial police officer has been charged with sexual assault in separate incidents involving a total of three women.

The Special Investigations Unit says Ontario Provincial Police reported an allegation involving the officer and a woman in February, and the other allegations emerged during its investigation.

The SIU says the alleged incidents took place between August 2024 and October of last year.

It says Const. Zahid Javed of the OPP’s Southern Georgian Bay detachment was arrested this morning and faces three counts each of sexual assault and breach of trust.

The watchdog says Javed has since been released on several conditions, including that he not communicate with the complainants.

He is due back in court in Midland, Ont., next month.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 17, 2026.

The Canadian Press